Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

Air bag light is flashing. This happened about A year and I

Customer Question

Air bag light is flashing. This happened about A year and I look it to the Nissan dealer and they say it was a wire loose and they fixed it. The light came on again after I finished vacuuming the car. I need to get the air bag light to stop flashing for state inspection. Is there a connection under the passenger seat that can cause this? How can I fix without going to dealer.
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 1998 Nissan maxiuma
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, just started research on problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing other that this flashing started after I vacuumed the car, thinking loose wire?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

as you have the air bag light illuminated then by far the fastest route to repair is to have a dealer level scan tool plugged into the car and pull the fault code as airbag faults are very difficult to fix any other way

however as you don't want to go to the dealer then the thing to check is the connections under the front seats ( as you suspect)

the key thing to do to avoid any accidental setting off of the airbags is to disconnect the battery 1st and don't try anything until its been disconnected for at least 10 mins

then there should be a couple of 2 wire connectors for each front seat and I'd disconnect each in turn and spray both sides with contact / switch cleaner , then re-connect and the disconnect and reconnect at least 10 times to try and wipe any corrosion off the pins

also check the state of the wiring to each connector as sometimes the wire can be kicked loose by passengers and caught in the seat runner

any chafed insulation or damaged wire will need to be repaired

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you