Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Need to reset my check engine soon light on 08 QX56. Going

Customer Question

Need to reset my check engine soon light on 08 QX56. Going to trade car soon. Drove from Sea Level to Colorado Mountains, started blowing out tons of white smoke when started. Took to two different mechanics - one replaced a fuel injector, other the oxygen sensor. Now check engine soon light on back at sea level. Just want to reset so I can trade the car in.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on.
JA: What year is your Colorado?
Customer: 2008 QX56
JA: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, it's a QX56
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

You can get the code to temporarily clear using a scan tool or by disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes. If the vehicle detects an electrical fault it can set the check engine light back on immediately once you start the vehicle. If the cause of the light is a pollution control device (oxygen sensor, catalytic converter, etc) then it will take a few miles of driving before it will come back on.

There is no way to get it to clear on the long term if there is a fault anywhere in the system.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Keep in mind, if you reset the light and the engine does not run through it's self-check completely before you get it to the trade in location then they will be able to tell that it has been reset recently. The vehicle will be in "not ready" mode- meaning that the computer has not yet completed the checks.