Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Power steering fluid leaking from the reservoir, yes, have

Customer Question

power steering fluid leaking from the reservoir
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?
Customer: yes, have not check the reservoir
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2009 nissan maxima
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have not tried anything yet. can't understand why its leaking from the reservoir unless the power steering pump is going bad
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

The reservoir plastic could have separated and leaking

the power steering lines going to reservoir need checking and the clamps on them

you can take out the reservoir and test on the outside, clean really good and inspect the reservoir for tiny cracks

the power steering pump could be bad , i know it is hard to see with fluid everywhere, either clean it or put color die in the powersteering fluid so you can see where it is coming from

Please let me Know

Thanks You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's coming from the top cap on the reservoir.

Hey how are

would you say it is pushing it out of the reservoir , if you turn the steering wheel to extreme left or right and look and the reservoir cap, is the fluid coming out more from the cap when wheel in that position ?

please let me know

Thank You *****

what is the mileage on the vehicle

how does the steering feel , hard to turn , have dead spots in it when you turn where it get stiff while turning then let go or normal ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
194,000, it may be pushing in out. It also comes out when the car is off. Runs out over night.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Normal turning

The system consist of a power steering pump ,power steering gear ,High pressuer line & return line

if steering is still normal , i will look first into reservoir or lines leaking

i sent you a diagram of the steering pump , look behind the pulley and the pump if leaking in between on the power steering pump from pump seal

please let me know

Thank You *****

Also inspect the lines going into the gear

I sent you a diagram

let me know if that will work for you

Thank You

Chad

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician