sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Running really rough will not go faster than 5 mph replaced

Customer Question

running really rough will not go faster than 5 mph replaced several things and finally took it to shop and they said the exhaust was clogged and the catalytic conveter on driver side needs to be replaced
JA: Have you metered out the ignition system?
Customer: the shop I brought it to said they did and ran several diagnostic tests and could not find anything there experience narrowed it to catalytic converter. but they are not a muffler shop. I replaced all ignition wires and plugs, O2 sensors, gas pedal, gasket at intake
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2007 frontier SE 6cyl
JA: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to. replaced all ignition wires, gas pedal, gasket at air intake, O2 sensor on passenger side befor catalytiv converter. when I plug in diagnostic the only that comes up now is a code for random misfire. the shop said they checked everything and kept coming back to catalytic converter.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it all started back in march. started running rough so put an additive in with gas. then got really bad and would not go over about 15 mph. bought diagnostic decoder and have worked way through all codes that came up. now will not go over 5 mph. still comes up as random misfire.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A restricted catalytic converter is a common cause of a loss of power. If a shop has diagnosed the issue as a restricted converter and testing was done properly then I wouldn't have a reason to doubt them. A simple backpressure test is all that is necessary to confirm a restriction.