Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2008 Pathfinder with the 5.6 liter v8. no heat after

Customer Question

Hello 2008 Pathfinder with the 5.6 liter v8. no heat after installing new thermostat and rad hoses. I finished doing this the other day. I had heat when I finished burping the coolant system. (Took about 2 hours to bleed it but did it.) I bleed it in the following manner. Had the front of the truck jacked up about 18 inches with the rad cap on and the over flow cap off. everything seemd fine till I drove it this afternoon. Temp is normal but blows cold air no matter how high I have the temp set at.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

It sounds like you bleed it almost right. On your truck you need to pinch off a couple lines to allow the system to burp out all the air. Hang on, let me see if I have a picture of the hoses you need to pinch off.

Also did you have the heat on high while you were bleeding?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did. The rear heat and the heat for the front passengers were set to high at the hottest temp setting possible.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. Can we continue this conversation around 5 pm EST ? I will not be online during the day today
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's fine, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe I just fixed the problem. There wasn't air in the system. I believe the part is called the "heater control valve" that's located on the passenger side firewall. It also has heater hoses attached that goes to the intake manifold on one side and the other side goes to the heater core. On one side of the valve the hose was hot and the other side was much cooler. I assumed this was where my air pocket was. For curiosity reasons, I removed the 3 small screws and removed the cover plate. I then noticed that the white stem wasn't sitting correctly and kept popping off, skipping.... when my wife kept adjusting the temp inside the cabin. So, I turned the white gear by hand and instantly got heat again. Is this a common problem that goes bad on these vehicles?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

That is awesome. Yes, That is fairly common. That valve comes with the two hoses. One on each side of it. That would need to be replaced to resolve your issue if you can turn it and get good heat and it's not running hot.