Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

My 2005 Nissan Altima won't start. I turn the key and the

Customer Question

Good morning pearl, my 2005 Nissan Altima won't start. I turn the key and the lights inside turn on but not the engine, it doesn't even make a sound
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: No steering wheel is tight and the keys old but not damaged
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far I've just checked to see if the battery was still on tight and kept trying to start the car but nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, before this happened my car would constantly jerk violently especially when it tried to switch gears
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. It sounds like the first thing you need to do is try to give it a jumpstart.

this will determine if the battery is just too weak to start or if there is another problem present.

Hi, this is Josh checking to see if you are still looking for help with this problem.

Just let me know if I can assist you any further

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey josh, yes I tried jump starting the car but it didn't work so I'm guessing the battery isn't the problem. After I gave the starter a couple hits and my car turned on but it still died on me as I was trying to get home

oh, yikes! it sounds like you may have more than one problem...The starter seems to be out but that shouldn't cause your car to cut off. I would suggest that you also check the alternator.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alright will do! Thank you, ***** ***** car seems to jerk or make sounds of engine failure when the car starts going up to 2000rpms then calms down

This sound is likely because of a failing alternator also. The first thing to do is check the output of the alternator. I suggest that you connect a volt meter to the positive and negative posts on the battery while the engine is running. Let me know how it goes!

*Please also remember to take a moment and rate my service today by clicking one of the stars on the top of this message board. Thanks!

Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Josh checking in on your situation...if you have any other questions or any developments, please don't hesitate to contact me! Also, if you were pleased with my service, please take a moment to rate using the star rating system above this message board. Thank you!