Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

It starts to turn over then the starter stops like a relay

Customer Question

it starts to turn over then the starter stops like a relay is dropping out. I can apply voltage at the grey interlock relay and she turns over
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 95 path has been sitting a lot 200000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: do all my own work tried crossing relays to find starter relay
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 27 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The interlock / Inhibitor relay are common to fail on these trucks. Did you try changing this relay?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I tested this relay and it responds correctly to voltage input.... 1 set of contacts open and 1 set closes.
I suspect the starter switch on the column only makes temporary contact as i have to bump it hard to get it to engage for the second that it does work. Can you tell me which wires on the output side of the starter switch would send voltage out towards the starter?( colors?)
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

There is 1 gray plug going to the starter. That is the voltage sent from the ignition switch. If you don't have voltage there, then you may want to check power out of the ignition switch to see if that is your issue. Especially if you have to bump it.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Im aware of the grey plug , what color wires out of the ignition switch should feed voltage?
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

Black wire with a yellow stripe