Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Rough idle, car dies when clutch is depressed and coasting

Customer Question

Rough idle, car dies when clutch is depressed and coasting to a stop. 1976 Datsun B210
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model of your '76 Nissan?
Customer: B-210
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, replaced EGR which improved on performance but has not solved the issue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Had a previous issue where the car would lose power while applying gas and die. Fixed by rebuilding carb (I think, havent had a chance to drive it more than down the street)
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Just a few questions before we start. Do you have any shift issues between gears, hard , grinding? Does it idle normally when in neutral clutch out?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have any issues while shifting and when I'm sitting in the driveway, the vehicle will idle without dying but it does tend to bounce between 1500rpm and 2000rpm.

Thanx for that info , do you have a vacuum gauge you can put on to check manifold vacuum?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately, I do not.

ok have you got a tachometer and a gas torch?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do. I used this method to try and find a vacuum leak previously but had no success.

you have to point the torch at any suspected areas and watch the tach, the other method is using quick start but be careful as it is inflammable so have a fire extinguisher close at hand. The other thing you can try is when it's idling is to make your hand act like a choke plate over top of the carb opening and play with how much air you give it .if it increses with RPM then you have either a vacuum leak or lean mixture setting.Have you tried playing around with the carb mixture screw?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sir.

let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the long delay, I havent been able to do any work on the car due to rain.

yup that's ok will look for your results.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Using my hand as a partial choke increased rpm slightly and killed the motor when fully covered. I was unable to find a vacuum leak on the motor itself, around the carb or on the vac lines. The rough idle and ticking sound coming from the valves is leading me to believe I my ignition timing is off?

you can try checking the timing but still sounds like lean mixture.