FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

It is sputtering, the check engine light goes on and off,

Customer Question

It is sputtering, the check engine light goes on and off
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Blinking
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just happened about 20 mins ago
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Nissan
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you give me the model of you Nissan and the engine size? Also, how many miles are on it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has 117,968... engine is 2.5 it also says cvtc. I believe the model is 2.5s (that's what it says on the back of the car) lol sorry
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. That is all that I need. From what you are explaining it sounds like you have a misfire. The car may just need a tune up or it may have a failing ignition coil. These are common problems. Has the car been tuned up?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The last time it was, was about a year ago
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Then it probably does not need a tune up. It more than likely needs a coil. The computer needs to be scanned for codes to see which cylinder has the misfire.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay so I would just take it to a place like Auto zone to have it ready? I'm sorry I'm a female and my husband is deployed and I know nothing about cars lol
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

No problem. I will do what I can to help. Yes, take it to just about any auto parts store and they can scan it for you. If you do that and bring me the codes I can tell you what they mean and what can be done to fix it if you would like to try and fix it yourself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay that's perfect. So I'll always be able to get in contact with you thru here or once I rate you I won't be able to contact you? This is the first time I've used this site!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Even after you rate my service we can continue here no matter how long it takes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thank you so much. It's almost 7pm my time, I'm in Hawaii, but I'll have worked them check it out tomorrow and I will let you know! Would that be causing it to kind of idle up to the 1 a tad rough( it's like sputtering).
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Yes, that would cause this. Once you have this done let me know what they find. If I am not online when you return just respond and I will get back to you as soon as I am back online also. Have a great rest of your night.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, I'll let you know asap! Have a great night!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Thank you.