Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I recently replaced the battery and now my car wont start,

Customer Question

I recently replaced the battery and now my car wont start
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes. Its a brand new battery. Headlights come on
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2007 Armada
JA: Are you fixing your Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes the only thing i have done is change the battery. My battery died last week. Before it died it was running fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats it.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. does it crank and not start or is it doing nothing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its cranks and dont start.

ok. when you are cranking the vehicle does the red security light go out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it does not. It stays on

your immobilizer is locking out the ignition system

do you have another key?

ill catch you in a little while i gotta get out of this shop and get home.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh ok. No, all i have is one key. I misplaced the other moving. Should i have another key made?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok no problem

im going to find out if you can reset the security without having to take it to a dealer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks

NISSAN vehicle immobilizer system

The NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System will not allow the engine to start without the use of a registered key.

If the engine fails to start using a registered key (for example, when interference is caused by another registered key, an automated toll road device or automatic payment device on the key ring), restart the engine using the following procedures.

1. Leave the ignition switch placed in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds.

2. Place the ignition switch in the OFF or LOCK position and wait approximately 10 seconds.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

4. Restart the engine while holding the device (which may have caused the interference) separate from the registered key.

If the no start condition re-occurs, NISSAN recommends placing the registered key on a separate key ring to avoid interference from other devices.

Statement related to Section 15 of FCC Rules for NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System (CONT ASSY — IMMOBILIZER, ANT ASSY — IMMOBILIZER) This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules and RSS-210 of Industry Canada. Operation is subject to the following two conditions; (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.

CHANGES OR MODIFICATIONS NOT EXPRESSLY APPROVED BY THE PARTY RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLIANCE COULD VOID THE USER’S AUTHORITY TO OPERATE THE EQUIPMENT.

Security indicator light

For vehicles without Intelligent Key: This light blinks whenever the ignition switch is placed in the LOCK, OFF or ACC position.

For vehicles with Intelligent Key: This light blinks when the ignition switch is placed in the LOCK position with the key removed from the ignition switch.

This function indicates the NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System is operational.

If the NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System is malfunctioning, the light will remain on while the ignition switch is placed in the ON position.

If the light still remains on and/or the engine will not start, see a NISSAN dealer for NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System service as soon as possible. Please bring all registered keys that you have when visiting your NISSAN dealer for service.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried this last night and still nothing.

unfortunately the immobilizer isnt recognizing your key. you will need to go to the dealer and have them code and cut a new key to the vin of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok how much will that cost?

you will need to call your dealers parts department. prices vary from place to place.

one last thing. turn the key to the run position(not start) and listen for the fuel pump to run for a few seconds. let me know if it does or not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok will do

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I put the vehicle in run and everything sounded normal

whats that mean? did you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds or not?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, so i tried a new key andnit did not work. Not sure what a fuel pump may sound like. But heard something kinda whisper for a few seconds.

ok. let me look somethin up...thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks. I appreciate all the advice.

ill be home in about 45 min.. i gotta get out of this shop. you still gonna be here?

where did you get the new key?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found my spare.