Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

1994 Nissan pathfinder, check engine light came on after the

Customer Question

1994 Nissan pathfinder, check engine light came on after the woodruff key sheared off causing the piston valve contact causing bent valves. Now repaired the check engine light comes on. after 30 miles. I take back to shop they replace knock sensor But still comes on this time 20 min driving. any ideas please
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Gary, can you tell me what the fault code is that is setting when the light comes on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1994 Nissan pathfinder, check engine light came on after the woodruff key sheared off causing the piston valve contact causing bent valves. Now repaired the check engine light comes on. after 30 miles. I take back to shop they replace knock sensor But still comes on this time 20 min driving. any ideas please also there also seems to be surging
then sometimes I do not feel the surge.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the code that came up said faulty knock sensor, so we put in a new 1
the light came on again 20 mi down the road
I do not have the exact code with me now
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Can you check with them and see if you can get me the exact code and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can not afford to pay that price. I am disabled vet with broken pathfinder. I will have someone else do the work. But I want to be informed somewhat.
$26 should get me an answer yes or no? If I am not satisfied I will ask for my money back
what dose the knock sensor listen for exactly?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Anybody Here?????????????
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The knock sensor senses engine spark knock and when its detect is it retards the ignition timing. If in fact your still setting a knock sensor code and the sensor has bee replaced then you may be dealing with a circuit concern from the knock sensor to the ECM (computer) . This is why knowing the exact your your getting would be very helpful in order to give you a properly informed answer. Any money you have placed in your account remains your unless you receive an answer you are satisfied with and rate the service. Because I am not getting complete information from you I have not posted an answer yet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry I do not have the exact sensor code now I can get it tomorrow. Would the sensor pick up anything out of ba***** *****ke the crank, cams, or even a piston that hit a valve
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

No, the sensor will not pick up anything out of balance , its job is to detect engine spark knock to help control the timing. If you still setting the same code then the problem is likely with it and or the circuit. Im here everyday if you can get me the code I will do my best to help you get this figured out and resolved.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok I will just ask for my money back sorry you couldn't help me. tks for trying
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.