Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 1995 Nissan Altima, gas/automatic transmission,

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Nissan Altima, gas/automatic transmission, 2.4L, GXE that cranks but won't start. This problem started back in 2014 when all of a sudden the car started dieseling and trying to die. We think we have fixed it, then the crank/no start returned, replaced more stuff, etc. Since April/May of 2015, car has not run regardless of repairs. So far we have: March 30 2014 Replaced ignition coil, ignition rotor, distributor and ignition wire set. May 1st, 2014--Distributor, again. March 12, 2015 Ignition Coil (2nd), also rebuilt the generator and replaced the fuel filter. May 28, 2015 Elec Distributor, EGR valve, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, plug wires, fuel pump and fuel filter, again. July 2015 Replace Coil again (3rd), throttle position sensor, and sent ECM off for repair/reman. Each time we do something, car will start, sometimes run for awhile, then next time will crank but not start. We have checked voltages, wired around components to check things, etc.--What are we missing?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked for spark and fuel while cranking? Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to the best of my knowledge my husband has done all that. He is supposed to be home in about 15 mins. But, I know that he has worked through the manual on checking for voltage issues, checked for spark and fuel issues--I'm sure we have replaced some things that didn't even need to be replaced. But the over arching theme has been, we have replaced the coil three times. Each time we make a repair or replacement, the car will start once, then the car will crank but not start again. We have sometimes even been able to drive the car as far as 20 miles, then get home, the car will crank but not start again
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Please feel free to have your husband reply to me when he gets home. Better yet, we can talk on the phone.. just request a phone call on your end and will call right away

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Regarding codes, we don't have a code reader that works on a car of this age and since we haven't been able to get the darn thing running long enough to get to a place that could read the codes for us, no we haven't got any recent codes. I think initially, like in 2014 and 2015 we did, but we have addressed all those repairs as I outlined them then. Now, I know that there is supposed to be a way to get codes off the ECM, but I don't think we have tried to do any of that kind of stuff lately. If you could tell us how to do that, we will be happy to do it and then get back in touch with you ???
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

I can send that information over, but I have a lot more things to check and a lot more advise I would like to go over with you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, my husband gets off at 3:30 pm, so he should be here any second now.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

You may have to add more money into your just answer account

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Amedee
I would like to continue online so I have a memory aid for what you tell me. I first started having problems with oil in the distributor which I changed out and the cam position sensor is intragal to that. Then the coil went bad twice in less than a year. I suspect the resistor in the primary coil circuit but it ohms out within specs. Every time I disconnect the battery and change anything it will start and run once. It s almost like a computer reboot so I had that sent off and rebuilt. It started and drove 20 or so miles home. Acceleration was fine and there has never been any back firing so I don't suspect cam timing problems. My intention was to run a hot wire from the ignition around the coil resistance wire and see if I can maintain running as a test of the inline resistor before I replace it. Do you think I'm on the right track? I have replace the fuel pump, throttle and crankshaft position sensors, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. The starter and alternator are only a couple of years old as is the battery.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

I think there are some things that I can help with. Does the engine have spark and fuel while cranking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess so it started.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

So it is running ok now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it ran for a minute or so then died and will not start again although it cranks good.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Ok so now we need to check for spark and fuel

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I'm miles away from car so I'll do that essentially starting all over and get back with you tomorrow.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like a plan