sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My wife is stuck on the highway because the immobiliser has

Customer Question

Hi. My wife is stuck on the highway because the immobiliser has been turned on. I am 1000 km away in Qld. She has a key but can't make it work
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: No. It doesn't seem to want to turn or if it does nothing is happening.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2005 not a highway star
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The problem started because my daughter pushed the lock button. The Nrma did not recognise the problem and towed the vehicle. I said to push the release button and the vehicle started but it has stopped again on the highway.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The Nrma is going again to the vehicle. They need to know what to do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What model Nissan is this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2005 elgrand
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, I have no information on that model. I will opt out and re-open the question for another expert to help you..

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine died while driving the problem isn't with a security system. There are several things that will cause the engine to die and not restart and some testing will need to be done to determine exactly what is going on. Depending on what it's actually doing there may be an issue with the engine controller itself, a loss of power or ground to it, if it cranks but doesn't start then it may be due to a lack of fuel. If you have a gas engine it could be a loss of spark, there may be a fuel contamination issue or exhaust restriction. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see if the ECM communicates with a scan tool and then what fault codes are stored if it does.