Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

The driver side door locks on my daughter's 2012 Juke

Customer Question

Hi. The driver side door locks on my daughter's 2012 Juke sporadically stop working with the remote or the auto button inside. It will go days without either lock working with the FOB but then will work for awhile. I have changed the FOB battery so that is not the issue. When this occurs the doors can not be automatically opened from the inside switch either. Just seeing if others have faced this issue as the dealer is struggling to fix the prooblem.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: I have just changed the car battery and the key fob battery. Everything was okay for a week but the problem came back.
JA: Are you fixing your JUKE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to the dealer and they changed the fob and car batteries in the same trip
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all that I know for now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is the issue just the drivers door? or all the doors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jay. So far the issue has just been on the driver side, both driver and passenger doors.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, are you still there?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I am here, The back doors work fine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the drivers side front and rear are the problem. Passenger side front and rear have been okay so far.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Ok.. So if one side is just a issue, it is most likely the door lock actuators for both of those doors if the passenger side works fine.

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have worked on door actuators on my other cars. Why would it come and go though if it were the actuator? That is what is puzzling me.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

What normally happens is that one of the rear doors starts to go, but since the windows are tinted for the rear windows, or the fact you can't really see the rear door or tend to check it. You just keep locking and unlocking doors. Once one of the front doors start to not operate properly, that is when you notice the rear door not operating properly and that is when you think it's more than just a door latch issue that it could be something electrical.

Simply replacing the door latch assemblies would resolve your issue. I have a video on You Tube on how they are changed. The car is a Infinti that is in my video, but after you remove the door panel, the steps are almost exactly the same

Hang on , let me get it for you..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

That should help give you a idea on how to replace the door latch / actuator assemblies.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, let me take a look at the video
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hard to believe that a car that is only 3 years old has failing actuators. I am beginning to worry about Nissan's quality a bit!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I know, the problem is not just Nissan. Cars now have to much electronics. That is really where the problem is in my opinion.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Took the car to the dealer on Friday. They found some electrical issue and the doors locks are working okay for now.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

What did they find?