Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Getting a check engine light codes is p0024 & p0014 saying

Customer Question

Getting a check engine light codes is p0024 & p0014 saying cam shaft timing is an issue
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stay on I have reset it and it keeps coming back on
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2008 350z
JA: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes myself what i read was engine oil could cause issues if it was to thick so i change that engine oil pressure reads very high so i replaced sensor, still reads high
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

we have several reasons , i have sent you the diagnostic step for it to troubleshoot

what kind scanner you have can you perform this test on it ?

there is also a learning procedure need done to the exhaust valve timing potions sensor

which sensor have you replaced ?

the most possible cause

1- crank shaft position sensor

2-camshaft position sensor

3-exhaust valve timing control position sensor

4- exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder

5-accumulation of debris to the signal pick up portions of camshaft ( I sent you a picture of it)

6- timing chain installation

7-exhaust valve timing control pulley assembley

DTC Confirmation Procedure CAUTION: Always drive at a safe speed. NOTE: - If DTC P0014 or P0024 is displayed with DTC P0078, P0084, P1078 or P1084, first perform trouble diagnosis for DTC P0078, P0084 or P1078, P1084. Refer to EC-179 See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > P Code Charts > P0078 or EC-487. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > P Code Charts > P1078 - If DTC Confirmation Procedure has been previously conducted, always turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds before conducting the next test. TESTING CONDITION: Before performing the following procedure, confirm that battery voltage is between 10 V and 16 V at idle. WITH CONSULT-III 1. Turn ignition switch ON and select "DATA MONITOR" mode with CONSULT-III. 2. Start engine and warm it up to the normal operating temperature. 3. Maintain the following conditions for at least 6 consecutive seconds. Hold the accelerator pedal as steady as possible.

4. Let engine idle for 10 seconds. 5. Check 1st trip DTC. 6. If 1st trip DTC is detected, go to "Diagnostic Procedure" below. If 1st trip DTC is not detected, go to next step. 7. Maintain the given conditions for at least 20 consecutive seconds.

8. Check 1st trip DTC. 9. If 1st trip DTC is detected, go to "Diagnostic Procedure" below.

Component Inspection EXHAUST VALVE TIMING CONTROL MAGNET RETARDER 1. Disconnect exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder harness connector.

2. Check resistance between exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder terminals 1 and 2. Resistance: 9.0 - 11.0 ohms [at 20 °C (68 °F)] 3. If NG, replace exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder and go to the next step. 4. Perform EC-76, "Exhaust Valve Timing Control Learning"

Exhaust Valve Timing Control LearningDESCRIPTION
Exhaust Valve Timing Control Learning is an operation to learn the characteristic of exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder by comparing the target angle of exhaust camshaft with the actual retarded angle of exhaust camshaft. It must be performed each time exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder is disconnected or replaced, or ECM is replaced.OPERATION PROCEDUREWith CONSULT-III
1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operation temperature.
2. Set shift lever in neutral position and confirm that following electrical or mechanical loads are not applied.
- Headlamp switch is OFF
- Air conditioner switch is OFF
- Rear defogger switch is OFF
- Steering wheel is in the straight-ahead position, etc3. Keep the engine speed between 1,800 and 2,000 rpm.
4. Select "EXH V/T CONTROL LEARN" in "WORK SUPPORT" mode with CONSULT-III.
5. Touch "START" and wait 20 seconds.
6. Make sure that "CMPLT" is displayed on CONSULT-III screen.Learning completed : CMPLT
Learning not yet : YET

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat

ASE Certified Tedchnician

exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder diagram

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a consult III I am using a OBD2 II EOBD code reader. I have replaced the oil pressure sender and still getting a reading of 60psi at idle and 120+psi when accelerating.

unfortunately that will not do on the code reader for our testing .

I will give you the most possible causes based on what you told me on it and my experience of what could be causing this high pressure .

The oil pump as you see in picture I sent has a pressure regulator valve ,this will create high pressure for you .

Hope I was helpful to you

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I pulled out the regulator and valve and all seemed good, no gunk and spring was in working order.

Hey sorry , i m not sure what the problem is at this time if the valve is good .

I will opt out & open up the question for you for another expert

good luck

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still require assistance with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

I will be online tomorrow night since I am not normally online during the weekend. Can we talk then?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't received an answer
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

I was trying to find a time that we would both be online so I can help you with your issue, and never got a reply to my response. I am normally online in the evenings around 7 pm EST. Can we continue this conversation then so I can assist you with your issue?