sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2005 350z. top won't go up or down. intermittent. sometimes

Customer Question

2005 350z. top won't go up or down. intermittent. sometimes it works, sometimes no. when it does work no funny sounds and works all the way through the cycle. sensor?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: i have no idea what sensor but something must be signaling it not to move. i have not taken it to a shop to look at trouble codes.
JA: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't done much. pulled the fuses. looked good. replaced. the top then worked fine for several cycles. now it won't move. have not pulled the fusible link.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuse I pulled out were good.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

helo and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be preventing the top from moving and it may take some electrical testing to determine what the problem is. If the top is being intentionally disabled due to an incorrect input and no visible wiring or mechanical problems can be seen then a scan tool to read fault codes and monitor data would be necessary to diagnose it accurately.

Do you hear any noise when trying to move the top when it will not open or close?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No noise at all when it does not operate. Is one sensor more likely then another? The top fabric was replaced about six months ago and worked fine until recently. An expert shop replaced the top. I thought I saw somewhere one of the sensors had to be protected during removal/installation.

Any of the switches being in the wrong state will prevent operation. Do you have a scan tool to check for fault codes and monitor data?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

Can you try a battery disconnect?