Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2000 Nissan altima 2.5 with a manual transmission.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Nissan altima 2.5 with a manual transmission. Was driving home from work last night on the freeway when my car suddenly lost acceleration in all of my lower gears. The only gear that had a little bit of acceleration left in it was the 5th gear which still kind of made the car sputter and shake a little. Not sure if it's the clutch that suddenly went out with no previous warning that it was going to go out soon. When I would hit the gas pedal in gears 4 or lower the cars RPM's wouldn't increase or hear the engine rev and jus had to coast my way home thru the last couple red lights to be able to get home luckily without a tow. Since I think I would've at least seen the RPM's increase or heard the engine rev or make any sound when I would hit the gas pedal it makes me think that maybe it's not the clutch. Hoping I could get some advice as to what the problem may be and what I can do to try to fix it since income is extremely limited right now. Thank you for any help you can provide...Danny
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is the service engine soon light on when the engine is running? Also do you hear the engine fans come on when the key is in the on position?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No service engine light is on right now. Also the fans seem to be running fine when the car is turned on. I only live 5-6 miles from my work so I'm not sure if u think it may be a overheating problem since I don't see one. Seemed okay enough that I just was able to take it around the block and test all of the gears to see if they would work. Everything appeared fine while driving. Any advice as to why the car would completely lose acceleration in gears 1-4 last night and seem sketchy and jumpy at best in 5th randomly on the freeway with no earlier symptoms and to appear fine now?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

I am trying to determine if it's in limp mode or if it's possibly a clutch issue. This is why I am asking.

If you are stopped with engine running, how high can you rev the engine?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Oh, the fans coming on is not for a over heating concern. If the fans come on when the key is in the ON position, that is fail safe which can also be like limp mode.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what else could it be since the car miraculously appears to be working now, although may seem temporarily fixed, besides whatever "limp mode" u may be suggesting at this point? Is there any other explanation to what it may be or at least one as to what a "limp mode" is or how or what needs to be done to fix it?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

It is all working fine now? Did turning the car off and restarting seem to fix it? did it happen just this one time?