david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a low speed transient misfire, i.e. not specfic to

Customer Question

I have a low speed transient misfire, i.e. not specfic to any particular cylinder. Only happens at low engine speed <2000 rpm. Check engine light is on.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on.
JA: What is the model of your '00 Nissan?
Customer: It is a 2002 Nissan Wingroad YH11 QG15 DE engine
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am, I have been a mechanic all my working life. I am 58 years old. I have several hours in this on behalf of my sister. The throttle stepper motor actuator body has been replaced. The plugs have been replaced, the coil packs have also been replaced. All been done by someone else, because the fault persists, I am brought in now. I have tried another set of plugs, no change. I have checked all the connections from the ecu on the engine. I have taken out and inspected the air flow meter which seems ok to look at. I have a cheap scan tool, a Geniscan GS 300 but it only reports a 'link error' so I cant use that to help me.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it really.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. knowing the fault codes would be very helpful. without that, theres only guessing and i dont like to guess. but i will suggest doing a back pressure test to see if the converters are clogged.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** try that.

you're welcome. please let me know the outcome. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating if your are satisfied with my help. i will leave this open for you after you leave a rating in case you need more help. thank you.

hows it going?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I decided to take it to a local workshop in the end. Being unable to read any evidence codes made it impossible to continue. He discovered that the coil on no:3 cylinder was the problem. All the coils had previously been replaced with non original ones. It is his opinion that the 'patterned parts' are not reliable and he won't use them anymore. He only fits genuine Nissan. It's his opinion that the connection from the underside of the coil to the top of the plug is too short causing an air gap at the plug which is what causes the misfire. If this is left for even a short time, it kills the coil.

i totally agree. oem parts should always be used. there are certain parts you can get away with using aftermarket but definitely not engine components.

please let me know the outcome. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating if your are satisfied with my help