Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

I have a 1993 Nissan quest 3.0 problem I have is that spark

Customer Question

i have a 1993 Nissan quest 3.0 problem I have is that spark for cylinder 4 get weak almost none when is hot all other cylinders are fine ..when van is cold is ok after is hot then the problem starts ..shaking like a misfire, I have replace igniter,cap and rotor ,wire,mass a flow sensor,plug, and still same
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. the problem is most likely the spark plug wire they have a carbon core that sometimes brakes down, when the temperature rises the resistance goes up and if it has lost some of it's conductivity that wires resistance goes up that much higher reducing the spark. what you'll have to do is measure it's resistance both hot and cold. better still at that age and mileage it would be good practice to replace the set of ignition wires . Hope this gives you some direction to go on and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have replace the wires for a new set and still same..also I switch wires and they fail, spark s\is weak from cap, cap is new and problem is same with old and new cap, rotor is new... my question is what does determinate wich cylinder fires at what moment in this model since this is 1993 no crank sensor I'm a mechanic but I'm lost here
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Hey there thanks for the question. Nissan expert here.

The cam sensor is built into the distributor itself, injector timing and ignition timing are controlled by the distributor itself. is the service engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No engine light works fine when is cold after is hot spark on cilider 4 get weak and start misfire and then no spark at all only cilinder 4 replace cap and module i dont see a sensor inthe distributor is a 1993 model ok...
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I know it's a 93 but thank you.

Let me show you.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

it's built into the distributor assembly an requires the assembly to be replaced if it's bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so do you think it will cause what im saying the issue is
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Considering what you have already replaced and your current symptoms. aside from a bad ground wire or bad ground through the condensor, not much else that will cause spark issues.