I have an 87 Nissan D-21 pickup. Was changing oil and filter

Customer Question

I have an 87 Nissan D-21 pickup. Was changing oil and filter wrench sparked against the constant hot connection on the starter. When trying to start, all power at ignition switch goes dead. No dash lights, etc. Replaced starter. No change. Replaced ignition relay. No change. Changed out all fusable links at battery positive post. No change. Changed ignition wiring at steering column. No change. I don't know what else I can do. There are other fuses, but I don't know what they're for. There is an "inhibit relay" that I thought might be the problem, but can't get another one to see if that's the problem. Any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes. Checked all fuses. Dash bulbs? Nothing has changed at bulbs that I can see.
JA: Are you fixing your Pickup yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Read first entry.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  tracker40 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, what engine do you have? do you have a testlight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3.0 liter, 6 cylinder
Yes, have a test light
Expert:  tracker40 replied 1 month ago.

what is not working or what is? is everything dead?

Expert:  tracker40 replied 1 month ago.

I am going to opt out, I am asking questions with no /delayed replies,. Another expert should be along soon to continue helping, Sorry I could not help

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you check the hot wire to starter for any damage when you replaced the starter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jay--Sorry for the delay. Was eating supper. No, didn't check the hot wire to starter. I did replace the fusable link at top of hot wire. After replacing all the fusable links and it not starting, I took the ignition relay I replaced last Saturday, and put it into the inhibit relay socket. Gave a strong click (sounded like at coil) before going dead again. May have ruined my new starter, don't know. But I would figure at this point it can't hurt to replace the inhibit relay tomorrow and see how that works. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

All though the inhibitor relays were common on these older trucks, I have one thing I would like to try to check first.

You stated that when you try to start the truck all electrical power goes out like a switch correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's right. The cabin fan, courtesy light, everything. Dash lights too. But seems like replacing the fusable links helped some, because I'm not waiting for raw luck to get power back. But once dash lights, etc., are on, and I turn the key to start, it still goes dead.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Try this.. Open the hood, then try to start your truck.. While the power is out, turn the head lights on. Then go out to the battery and loosen the negative battery cable and twist it back and forth. If the lights come on, then tighten it down in a slighly different location and then see if the truck starts.. If the negative doesn't work, then try the positive..

Let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I get back to you in the morning? Pretty well shot by now.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Sure, Just during the day I am on and off through out the day since I am working. So feel free to get back to me, and I will reply as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Copy that. And thank you!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome.. Talk to you tomorrow...