I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima and never had an engine light

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima and never had an engine light come on but car went into fail safe mode stuck in 5th gear. My tranny guy changed the valve body and thought this would fix and it didn't. He check the whole tranny and found no issues or codes. I have an auto electric guy looking at it and changed the computer and checked everything and still the same.. I need help and don't know what to do.. Please help! Thanks and God bless
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you have any codes? Most cases when the car goes into limp mode it's not the transmission. So if you have any past codes you can share with me as to why the valve body what changed, let me know. Also did he reprogram the new valve body?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My transmission guy put back my original valve body because he said it was not the valve body and check the transmission completely and told me a hundred percent that there was nothing wrong with transmission. The electric guy is telling me he cannot find the problem that he change the main computer brain and it usually should reset it and go back to first gear what you did not. In addition, he said he found a voltage problem or it was only registering 3.6 volts to 12. He thought this would be the problem but fix that problem and it's still in fail safe mode. There were no codes popping up and there were no check engine light. The only code that popped up my transmission guy found which was a sensor which he did change.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The electric guy try changing the battery as well with another one and it did the same thing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

What codes did you have though? Did you have any?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

What was that code the transmission guy found?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No codes and no engine light at all. The transmission guy found 1 code which was a sensor which he replaced and that fixed the code it was showing. Can you call me at(###) ###-####my name is Ray...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I can speak with you, but you would need to accept the premium service. It is a additional charge to speak to me. But I am sure after you speak with me we may have a idea what is going on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what else can it be? He tested everything with a scope, that is the electrical auto guy. Even myechanic was stumped that's why I took it to my tranny guy and now this auto electric guy.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I can think of a few things.. First is the App sensor which is the electronic gas pedal has a 5 volt reference. If something interrupts the 5 volt reference the car will go into limp mode. Now the Ac pressure sensor and the evap pressure sensor also share the 5 volt reference. So if one of the two sensors interrupts the 5 volt reference, then the car will be in limp mode. Also if the engine fans come on when in limp mode, that would indicate a communication issue with a major control unit. This is why I would like to know what code the transmission guy found. That would help me determine which direction we need to go.