Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Wont start after sitting for 1 week. 2000 nissan altima,

Customer Question

Wont start after sitting for 1 week. 2000 nissan altima, 425,000 miles.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Engine turns out, but would not start. After 6 tries and almost running the battery down it started.
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. this heppen about 2 months ago and the dealer could not find the problem after working on it for 1 week. they finally blew out the cylinders and plugs and it started. so i picked it up and it has been running fine until 1 week ago when i set it up for 1 week.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i changed the knock sensor and crank sensor. both codes were on. also the cam sensor code was on. i have order spark plugs, wires, and distributor rotor and cap which i will change in 3- 4 days when they come in. if this does not work i think i either have a bad distributor or leaking injectors.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you had a Cam Sensor code, that is part of the distributor. Did you change the distributor also?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. All the codes have been cleared at the dealer a month ago have not returned except for the knock sensor code.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

How handy are you?

Do you think you can remove the distributor cap and rotor, then remove the lower cover to see if there is any oil present in the distributor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor ordered and will replace them Wednesday or Thursday when the parts arrive. i think it is time to replace them anyway due to the mileage 425,000. i remember they were replaced about 200,000 ago along with the distributor.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

That is not what I asked, but yes, those items should be replaced if it's been a while and is due.

What I asked is if you can remove the distributor cap and remove the distributor rotor and remove the lower cover and look for oil

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i can do it tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if there is oil should i assume the intermittent problem with not starting is the distributor?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Ok.. If you find any oil under the cap under the rotor, the distributor will need to be replaced.

Let me know what you find tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks. later.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Have a good night...