Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985
20625509

350Z was running fine and all of a sudden won't start. Yes,

Customer Question

350Z was running fine and all of a sudden won't start.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes, not corroded. Starter cranks just fine and when hooked up to a universal scan tool - its not throwing any codes.
JA: What year is your 350Z?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to determine the issue myself, tried to reset the computer by unhooking the battery then resecuring it. Then scanned it for codes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also checked for any vacuum leaks or broken wiring.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

If you have a scan tool or code reader, you shouldn't be disconnecting the battery to erase codes, just use the tool.

Now, does the fuel pump run when you first turn the key to run? Do the check engine and security lights come on and then go out after 10 seconds?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Will the engine start for a few seconds with starting fluid?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuel pump runs and check engine lights come on when attempting to start. Scan done with no codes appearing. Tried to disconnect and reconnect the battery to assure proper connection, checked all wired. Did not try starting fluid, prefer not to.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Just 2-3 short shots into the throttle body then try to start. Just try it once. Let me know if it starts. if not check for spark, if it does start check the fuel injector fuse/s.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

That would be fuse #1 in the fuse block behind left kick panel.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

start with that first then.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Checked all the fuses, all are fine.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

check for spark

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

My way, make a test plug.

You can make a test plug with a new spark plug and some wire, a mini hose clamp and an alligator clip. First open the spark plug gap to around 0.075” and strip both ends of a 16 gauge wire about 4 foot in length. Attach the mini hose clamp around the threads of the spark plug cause that is a ground and secure it with the mini hose clamp with the bare wire end in between to make a good connection. Next, take the other end of wire and secure to an alligator clip.

Now, you have a test plug. Remove any spark plug boot you want and insert your test plug onto the spark plug wire end you just pulled off and ground the alligator clip. Lay the spark plug in some shade somewhere under that hood and then crank the engine and look for spark. It should crackle with sound and should be blue but red is ok, orange is a little weak. If it can jump that 0.075” gap you should have no problem igniting an engine.

You can also use that to check coils on some vehicles.

Now fuel, with engine off get a flash light and look down the fuel intake if you can and give the throttle a pump and look for gas squirting.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

forget that last part , Now fuel, with engine off get a flash light and look down the fuel intake if you can and give the throttle a pump and look for gas squirting.

I made this paragraph years ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is now beyond my rhelm, I thank you for your help but am just going to call the dealer on Monday. Thanks!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

If you have a tachometer, then just see if it registers a cranking rpm. Then try the starting fluid.