Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2011 Nissan Maxima. I pushed the push to start

Customer Question

Hi Roy. I have a 2011 Nissan Maxima. I pushed the push to start button earlier tonight so I could roll up a window. I unknowingly left the car in the acc position. When we returned from shopping the battery was dead, essentially. A few lights would come on (very dim) and the battery light was on. We tried jumping the car several times, but it won't start. Now, no lights come on, the seats don't move, nothing inside the vehicle seems to have power. The push start button says 'Lock' and won't turn to Acc or On. The brake is very hard to press. What should I do?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

When you drain the battery that bad, you will need to charge that battery if it's to dead to jump start.

Do you have a battery charger? Did you try to leave the car that is jumping you running for 10 mins before trying to start it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we left it for probably 30-45 minutes.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

This is what I would do. I know the car is not home. But I would remove the battery take it home and put it on a charger to charge it up, then bring it back and install it and see if that gets you going. Other wise if the battery is 3 to 4 years old, you may just want to replace it.

When you hook jumper cables to the car, does the head lights come on and some accessories of the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No headlights or brake lights come on. I'm at the car now, trying to jump it again. No progress. The security indicator light is rapidly blinking in the car now, making a clicking sound. The car isn't showing itself in the lock position anymore. (When I pressed on the brake last night it would at least show itself in the lock position.)
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Clicking noises do indicate a weak battery. But the head lights should come on if you are jump starting the car. If the head lights do not come on when cables are hooked up to the battery, you may want to check the main fusible link. But if that link is blown, the dash would not turn on and allot of things would not power up.

I would see if you can take the battery out and charge it up or replace it and go from there if you can't get it to jump start.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just tried again, no headlights or brake lights. Nothing on the dash is showing except the security indicator light. Is it possible I'm just not getting a good charge to the battery? There seems to be a lot of corrosion around the positive side--could that be preventing the car from charging?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Absolutely, corrosion is resistance. Plus you want to check the Fusible link as well. That is located off the positive battery terminal. See image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fusible%20link%201b.jpg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey Jay. I had to go buy some tools after trying again (unsuccessfully) to jump it off. Got the battery out and it's down at O'Reilly right now. When they sat it on the charger it was at 8 volts. They said to call back in an hour and they'd let me know if it keeps a charge. Hopefully this will fix the problem, it was your original suggestion.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Yes... Let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jay, the charge seemed to work. The car started earlier today. Now, it won't start unless I disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes, reconnect and then start. It seems to be an issue with the antitheft system--any tips?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

When it doesn't start, what does the car do when you try to start it?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Example, Does the ignition come on, but the car doesn't start? What does it actually do, if you can give me details.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The lights, radio, everything will come on. I put my foot on the brake, press the start button, and the car makes a sound like it's attempting to turn over, then returns immediately to the lock position, no lights come on, no radio. I've done this 4 times in the parking lot of the grocery store tonight. It worked once earlier today and the car started, no such success this time around.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If no lights come on when this happens, it's a poor connection at the battery. What I normally do is open the hood, turn the head lights on. The lights will most likely not come on when this acts up. Then loosen and twist the negative battery cable clock wise and then counter clock wise. When doing this at any point the lights come on. Tighten the terminal in that location ( making sure it's in a different spot than original ). If nothing happens doing this with the negative cable, then try the positive.

Give that a try and let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That got the car started. Scared to death to turn it off now. Ha. Maybe the cables connecting the battery need to be replaced? They're very rusty, look corroded. Is there a reason the security indicator light came on, or why the car went back to the lock position and the lights wouldn't come back on, like I described in the last message? Or would a poor connection cause that?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If the battery terminal ends are dirty or have corrosion on them, they should be cleaned to ensure a good connection to the battery.

When the car is off, the security light will come on and the steering wheel will go into the Lock Position. But when you have a poor connection on the battery, the security light takes like no power to blink. But when you try to press the start button to start the car, if the connection is not good on the battery, it would not allow enough electrical current to flow to power up the vehicle.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Understand?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That makes sense. What's the best way to safely clean the ends on the terminal?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Have you ever heard of Spray 9 or Simple Green ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, but I can look for it.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

They are a all purpose cleaners. I spray down the terminals outside and I soak them good. Then I take a garden hose with a spray nozzle and hose the terminal ends and you would be surprised how clean you can get them.