Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

I have a 1990 z32 tt engine was shot and has under 50 psi

Customer Question

Hello I have a 1990 z32 tt engine was shot and has under 50 psi per cylinder and the #1 and 2 cyl were at 0 psi. I ordered a jdm engine tested to average at 175 psi. Put it in new wiring harness timing belt water pump and thermostat. Starts easy idles good has a slight miss not a big deal but it has no power at all and won't rev out. it goes to 2k and sometimes 4k and engine dies until rpms drop. What could cause this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is normally a Mass Air Flow sensor issue when a engine doesn't rev over 2k rpms. The MAF sensor is not metering air properly and acts like this. It may not throw a code cause it's still metering air, just not properly. This sensor is also very sensitive, if you kicked it or dropped it, that could also make it fail.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The first engine it was fine juat ran terrible due to the lack of compression and dead cylinders I pulled it out and put the new one in I don't think the mad could go bad not being used could it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I worked with a tech that would remove parts and just how he removed and dropped then would damage it.

As I said, the issue is most likely the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Also known as the MAF Sensor.

Do you have any more questions on this?