Out of nowhere the smart key stop working and I can't start

Customer Question

Out of nowhere the smart key stop working and I can't start my 2009 Altima. Batteries in key fob are new but I changed them anyway so I am sure it is not a simple battery change issue. The only thing that comes on is an amber warning light with a key icon. I can lock and unlock doors, but can do nothing to start the car. Couldn't even get dark out of park. Car was running with no problem. I parked the car and then tried to start it a half hour later when this occurred. What should I do?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes. Car batter was changed 2 years ago. And as stated key fob battery was new and was working with no problem before this incident
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I don't fix anything myself. Always use amechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Never had a problem before. No indication of anything wrong. Key fob just doesn't seem to be recognized
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Will the car start if you put the remote into the remote slot? Also is your steering wheel locked?