GDibs, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master and L1 Technician

My 99 GLE or GEL Altima, has trouble starting up, when tru

Customer Question

my 99 GLE or GEL Altima, has trouble starting up, when tru with changing the distubter as well as reset the timing. Changed all spark plugs. Cleaned battary thermals. The auto part store guys say it my have something to do with the alternator. But keep in mind I did test the new spark plugs with a tester and there's no spark like how it suppose too. I just would really like to figure out what really the promble so I can fix it and be able to use it again for work. Please help me find my promble.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  GDibs replied 1 month ago.

Is this only a problem getting the engine started? Does it run well once it starts? If it runs good after it starts and the problem is that is takes a long time of cranking the engine before it starts, check for a blown or missing ST SIG (start signal) fuse. I believe that fuse is in the dash fuse box. usually a 7.5 amp fuse. if blown or missing it makes it hard to start, extended crank time.

If the engine runs bad after it starts and won't accelerate very well, you might have a bad remanufactured distributor. I have seen people go through 3-4 remaned distributors before they get a good one. I would buy one from a Nissan dealer myself.

Expert:  GDibs replied 1 month ago.

I hope you got your Altima starting better and found my advise helpful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That wants a good respond to my problem. Which I still have and there was no amp. Of 7.5 under my dash or under my hood . Could you please read my promble again and detail what I should do I'm a women try to do this fix on her own only because I have not enuff money to take it to a real mechanic so this is the only way I know I can get a real awnser so that me and never ate for you the situation again when I start it a crank but it doesn't fully start the car it just whines I went as far as taking the fuses of ant teft out letting the car sit for a bit and then putting them back in to start on because without those Anti-Theft fuses the car won't start
Expert:  GDibs replied 1 month ago.

My bad, in this year the ST SIG fuse is a 10 amp fuse. It is fuse#26 in the dash fuse box. You should be able to find fuse information in your owners manual. Did you get a chance to read my last response? That fuse was just one of my suggestions. If your are truly losing spark as you indicated then you might have gotten a bad rebuilt distributor. I assume that the engine is turning over and that your description of "it just whines" is not the result a bad starter that is not actually turning the engine?