sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

When I put the key in the ignition, all the lights and power

Customer Question

when I put the key in the ignition, all the lights and power are working. as soon as I turn the key, the power (all lights and everything) shut down. I jump started the truck, and everything works fine. I'm thinking it's the battery, what are your thoughts, suggestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hi I'm Kevin I would agree with your diagnosis all sympthoms point to a battery failure . Replacement of battery will cure

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Please rate my service

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took the battery to Autozone, he checked it, said the battery is fine. He told me it was probably the ignition switch.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

I find that hard to believe as jump start cure issue il opt out see if another tech has circuit diagrams

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yea, so I put the battery back on, connected everything nice and tight, and it started right up. The terminals are clean, and the volt meter shows nice power.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem was due to a poor connection between one of the battery terminals and posts, which was disturbed and corrected when you reinstalled the battery from being tested. This is why a jump start allowed it to start yet the battery was good.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only thing I am concerned about is the fact that before I removed the battery and got it checked, when I started the vehicle all the power would completely go out until I jump started it. Does that make sense?

Yes, that's because the poor connection between the battery post and terminal was opening up when put under the heavy load of the starter. That's a normal condition with a poor connection at the battery.