Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

My 05 2.5 nissan altima wont start. It keeps blowing the ign

Customer Question

My 05 2.5 nissan altima wont start. It keeps blowing the ign eccs fuse. i replaced the number one coil pack and it ran good for two days. i notice there's a little crack on the top. i got no spark. I replaced the crank sensor. As soon as i replace the fuse i turn the key and the fuse blows again. Please help
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Yes the car is in park but i don't know if it has a wheel lock feature
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had a mechanic look at it and he said it was the eccs so i got a used one and it did nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Do you have a volt meter so we can diagnose this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry whats a volt meter?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i dont have one of those

The options are,

• You can buy one of these, learn how to use it and do the diag with my help.
  • Ask a friend with one to help
  • Get info from me to take to a shop.
  • I can just answer as best I can about possible causes for this without doing diag.

Let me know what would work best for you. Here in a bit I will be offline for about 5 hours.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got one. Now what do i do

All of my diagrams have the fuses listed by letter or number. Can you tell me the fuse letter or number?

My assumption is fuse 35 under the hood?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Hey there, hope you both find this information useful in your repairs.

These Altimas had known ISSUES with the ground cable from the battery to the transmission breaking at the transmission bellhousing. You can simply follow the ground from the battery practically straight down to where it should connect. When this ground wire frays or breaks it causes the coils to crack or blister and they end up needing replaced. In some poor scenarios the coils will short the ECM, but lets not jump to conclusions.

Good luck to you'll with your repairs. Thanks again.