peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

My 2004 350zr has had trouble with top top for two years.

Customer Question

My 2004 350zr has had trouble with top top for two years. This year I replaced the brushes with were badly worn in my 5th bow window and lubed everything twice (that I can see). Top work for serval operations but now the 5th bow will stop right before oration 3 and at the end of operation 5 with the 5th bow fully opened. The 5th bow also stops at the end of operation 8. I can continue with it operating with some manual help. I'm thinking its switches are somehow part of the problem. The motor seems to work fine when it's out and hooked to a battery. Please help.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I have not tested the battery. It isn't leaking. When testing the motor a couple times it would not work. Take it apart to inspect brushes and close it back up it would work. I then would reinstall the motor and it would work fine for 1 or 2 full operations but then again would hang up in these positions described above. Take it out again and repeat. Frustrated.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Nissan?
Customer: Touring I believe.
JA: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I'm not afraid of it and somewhat knowledgable. I inspected the 2 switches left of the drivers seat and they appear to be aligned. Hoping to get some suggestions one where to check next.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, I didn't want to start replacing items in hopes it would fix it. That what I'm afraid would happen at a dealership. They would just keep replacing stuff until the problem was solved. It appears that this has been a problem world wide with these. I love my z.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here if this has not been done already is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.I have seen position/limit switch failure in the past before cause this fault with one or more needing replaced.If you cannot get the codes checked or have already had this done let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete