mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

No spark) I have an 88 nissan pathfinder with a vg30i 3.0

Customer Question

No spark)
Hi, I have an 88 nissan pathfinder with a vg30i 3.0 V6. Why does my (ICM) ignition control module keep failing.
I've recently rebuilt the engine. The distributor, coil, ICM, spark plugs and wires, and alternator have also been replaced during the build. I'm still getting proper voltage to the ICM main power harness.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  mike switzer replied 8 months ago.

nissan ignition systems have a resistor in the harness that can go bad and cause this. if you trace the harness from the distributor or icm. there will be a bump in the harness that if you unwrap you will find the resistor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I test these resistors?

you can but with the age of the vehicle the info may be hard for me to locate the specs. they are fairly inexpensive.

my system is only showing me the labor time to replace no other information. no location or specs or service procedure.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are resistors vehicle specific, Or are they versatile like fuses? How will I know if I'm replacing the resistors with the correct one?

they are vehicle specific. and this vehicle only has one. it is in the harness usually near the icm itself. you will need to unwind the electrical tape on the harness to find it. i would recommend purchasing it from the dealer for the best quality. a lot of aftermarket ones just dont work for a very long time. can you take a picture of the wiring harness coming from the icm and post it here. it is usually within 6 inches of the icm.

or if possible take a picture of the ignition coil and post it on here as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ignition coil and transistors
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you receive the picture?

yes i apologize my internet crashed shortly after. the two items in your hand are what i am refering to the on on the bottom of the picture is the resistor. i forget what the upper one is but due to the age i would replace it aswell.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The one on the bottom is the ignition control module, the one on top is the ignition coil or were you talking about the items in my friends hand?

i was talking about the items in the hand.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I ordered the condensor and resistor I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The resistor and condenser did not fix the problem the icm went out again.

did the icm go out after replacing the resistor and condenser? or before. a bad resistor can allow too much amperage to the icm causing it to go bad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I replaced the resistor, condenser, coil, and ICM before starting it this time.

so the icm went out again? how masny icms have you replaced?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
3
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the icm went out again, and this will be the third time I've replace one.

can you find the eccs relay and try jumping power across it to see if the vehicle starts then? basically bypassing the relay itself

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The truck will start and run when I replace the icm but the icm will fail after running 3 times for about 30 seconds each time.

hmm for some reason the icm is not recieving the proper power supply. have you checked all the fuseable links at the battery?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fusible links look good

to be honest i am out of any real ideas for diagnosis. other than the distributor itself being bad causing the icm to go bad. i will opt out to allow another expert to help

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Roger that