Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

2002 xterra alarm goes off randomly, yes, i locked it with

Customer Question

2002 xterra alarm goes off randomly
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: yes, i locked it with the key and it still goes off
JA: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've replaced the door jamb switches on the drivers side front and back and cleaned the other ones
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i cannot find a hood pin switch, I think it might be gone
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

When you say the alarm goes off randomly, is it a factory or aftermarket alarm? Easiest way to tell is if the headlights flash when its going off. Factory alarms usually flash the headlights and aftermarket alarms the side lights.

Let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Factory alarm. No headlights, just horn.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

That is peculiar that the headlights do not flash. Have you tried holding down the panic button on the FOB and seeing if it mimicks what your seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, haven't tried that. when I lock it with the fob or key it usually goes off anywhere from 10 to 30 mins later.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I assumed the door jamb switches were faulty and replaced the 2 (drivers side front and back) that looked the most worn, No effect. I also replaced the battery in the fob. No effect.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Well if it was coming from the FOB, replacing the battery wouldn't help. You would need to remove the battery and just diasable the FOB for a day or two and see if it goes away. I have seen alot of FOB alarm issues, but they usually cause other problems like windows partially rolling down etc.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

This can be pretty tricky at this point since the alarm is going off randomly and not when you open the door.

Does your 02 xterra have the rear glass that opens seperately from the rear door?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it is the fob, does that mean I have to replace it? or just use the key forever? I haven't had any other issues other than the alarm going off. It only goes off after I lock the doors, never when I open the door or try to start the car. My rear glass doesn't open.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it would mean you have to replace the FOB, but I am not SURE that is your issue here.

This could be any one of the tamper switches on the lock cylinders. Being an O2 that could be the drivers door, passengers door, or the rear door is I recall correctly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a way to test and see if this is the cause?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Well the tamper switches are the easy ones to check.

Simply put the key in the cylinder when the alarm is going off and manually turn it to the lock position and it should disarm the alarm. If it does not disarm then the tamper switch on that key cylinder has fallen off or failed.

I am still not understanding why the headlights are not flashing to be honest. roll down the window and close all the doors and lock them to arm the alarm. Then reach in the drivers window and manually unlock it and open the door. This should set the alarm off and the headlights should flash.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will have to wait until after work to try this. How long do I have to get back to you? Im not sure how this works.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

you have all week honestly. Just reply here when you can, the question stays open for about 7 days whether you rate me or not.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK Thanks, I'll try this out after work and get back with you.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

sounds good