Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2003 pathfinder 3.5 128k miles; Go to drive, and

Customer Question

2003 pathfinder 3.5 128k miles; Go to drive, and acceleration nearly bottoms out, but keeps going slowly. seemed to only be on hills for awhile but now on flat roads too. SES light on when it bottomed out, and after driving for awhile & put in park the idle is rough--kind of louder than normal; whole cabin shakes like someones jumping in around inside; if given enough opportunity (say on the interstate) itll start sluggishly, but eventually able to get to 65, and cruise--if I hit the brake tho it starts all over with only going very slowly (had to put flashers on)--kind of rough in the shift. Took to garage day before yesterday--said code was for a camshaft sensor--they replaced it; drove it off the lot, and the SES light pops back on when I go to accelerate & it again bottoms out to a slow speed only.
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: intermittent (seems like only after driving for a period of time).
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO--my garage guy installed a new camshaft sensor (that was the code he got from it), and no change.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my pathfinder has burned oil since ive owned it. have to top it off regularly or it goes empty (no signs of leaks anywhere).
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When the SES light comes on, does it flash? Also do you happen to know what codes you have?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
NO the SES light stays on consistently. At this moment I haven't taken it back to the garage to have the codes read again.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Well as long as you are not in California, Auto Zone offers free scans. Would it be possible to have it scanned to see what codes you have so we have some sort of direction on what is going on? With a running issue, if you have the SES light on, that is a important step for direction of repair. With out knowing that code, it could be to many things to list. I would rather know the code to guide you the proper direction so you don't go buying parts that the truck doesn't need.

Once you get the code, just return back to this question and I will continue to help you. Ok?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ohkay! Will do! Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Your welcome. Talk to you soon.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
P0021 Cam timing out of range bank 1 and 2
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

how is the oil level on the truck?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well when this first started happening last Friday I checked the oil after it sat overnight, and it was bone dry. I put oil in, but it didn't make any difference.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

did you clear the code after you set the oil level?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no I didn't
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Lets disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins to clear the codes if you don't have any other way of clearing codes, then drive the car and see how it is. See if the code returns.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

let me know how you make out