Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2003 Nissan Altima. has been jumping for several weeks off

Customer Question

2003 Nissan Altima. has been jumping for several weeks off and on. Yesterday It started doing it bad and actually cut off but it cranked right back up. Car acts like it does not want to go and the rpms go up way high. kinda feels like its not getting gas
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No. Gas seems the same. It has been starting fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I have had a mechanic look at it and he did not see anything wrong with it. I have the feeling it could be the fuel pump. Have not tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Does the car use any coolant or oil?
Is the check engine light on when it's running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The check engine light has been on for a while due to having a bad catylit convertor. Checked the oil and it is fine. The radiator does have a leak and going to have that fixed to
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a feeling it could be the fuel pump
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

If the catalytic converter is broken inside it can cause the car to run rough and even shut down on you. This usually happens when the engine is up to operating temp however, it's less common on first start up or when the engine is cool.

I would have the computer scanned once again for codes because it can store more then just one. The symptoms sound more like an issue with a cam or crank position sensor. If the computer loses signal from these it will shut the engine off. Sometimes when that happens, it takes only a couple of minutes and it will start right back up for you.

The jumping could be consistent with the converter blocking off the exhaust however. I think it would be important to lower the exhaust pipe and check and make sure it's not broken up inside.

Fuel pump is possible, but usually when they fail, they fail and that's it. They don't tend to fail then suddenly come back to life. A fuel pressure test could at least determine if it's weak. If the pressure is low then it should be replaced.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!