Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

My 2015 Nissan started vibrating very badly And making

Customer Question

Hello, my 2015 Nissan started vibrating very badly And making rattling noises when speeding. I feel the vibration on the wheel as well as the car. I even felt the car move a bit sideways while driving on the highway. I did wheel alignment just 6 weeks ago on it.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The problem is only when going at high speed, coming from the tire in the passenger side. More like rattling or a a squeeky sound of a piece about to fall out.
JA: What is the model of your '15 Nissan?
Customer: Yes Altima S
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried taking it to a mechanic but they couldn't get the wheels off because I didn't have the lock key. It is now sitting and about to be evaluated by a mechanic tomorrow
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: One time after driving it I smelled a burning smell but I could have imagined that. Also, this all started when the whiplash cover on that same wheel came off.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

At what speed does this issue begin at?

As you increase speed once it starts, does it get worse or does it start off at its worst?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It gets worse as I increase speed and then it slows down a bit after I reach 80. It starts off at 50 and above and gets worse and worse the longer I drive. This all started with me hearing weird noises when a whiplash cover that was changed came off suddenly.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vibration starts and I hear a rattling noise, as if a piece is coming loose or something. On the highway I started hearing whooshing sound, like air...something that wasn't there before. Today I felt unsafe driving it because I felt like I couldn't control the car, the steering wheel was a bit more flexible than usual.

Current miles on the car?

Miles on the current set of tires?

When braking does it pull left or right?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
54,000 miles, I don't know about the tires but I know they just changed them before I purchased the vehicle (6 weeks ago) but they could be lying. I didn't notice the vehicle pulling any direction when breaking.

I think we can rule out the brake components, and the steering and suspension joints based on the prior responses and tasks done.

For the vibration I suspect a wheel weight has come off or a tire has a broken belt. Rotate the tires and see if the issues moves to a different corner. If it does not then I would focus on the front axle shafts to see if a CV joint is faulty. You also mentioned a rattle and squeak noise. A bad vibration can cause either of those to occur. The primary focus needs to be on the vibration first.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am taking it to a mechanic tomorrow and will follow up with you once I hear what he has to say. I know very little about cars and this is my first vehicle. I would appreciate your help. The break pads were changed. Do you have any idea how much it would cost even if it a range if it was a weight that fell off? How about the CV joint?

If a wheel weight fell off. Getting all tires balanced would be about 12$ a tire.

A faulty CV joint would be about 450$ for a new axle and the labor about 2 hours.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris