Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

My check engine light came on the other day and the test

Customer Question

my check engine light came on the other day and the test shows that my catalytic converter bank 1 is below threshold. I purchased it used three week ago with 104,000 miles, i was told by a friend who owns a muffler shop that i can wait until i start loosing power before replacing. What is your thoughts on this.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2009 murano s
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i haven't done anything to it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: everything else works ok still drive good and has power.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

The Catt Converter is a major conversion for exhaust gases. Waiting till you loose power could damage your engine. The Catt Converter needs to be changed if you are getting a code for it.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Let me explain it a little better..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

You have the exhaust gases as they leave the engine monitored by the upper 02 sensor. Then the exhaust gases go through the catt converter and get converted so by the time they hit the rear 02 sensor the rear 02 sensor has nothing to read. Now if the Catt converter is not functioning properly that means the rear 02 sensor is starting to monitor exhaust gases like the upper 02 sensor before the catt converter. If you allow this to continue, eventually the catt converter will come apart which would cause a exhaust restriction ( the loss of power) which can also damage the engine. So yes you can drive with a Catt converter code, but you want to work on addressing the issue before it becomes a bigger problem.

Do you understand? Any more questions on this?