Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I'm getting a P2A00 O2 Sensor Circuit Range / Performance

Customer Question

I'm getting a P2A00 O2 Sensor Circuit Range / Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 on 2007 350Z
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: Yes I've replace bank 1 sensor 1 and swapped bank 1 sensor 2 to the bank 2 sensor 2 location. No change to the code, it comes right back on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I've replaced O2 sensors, also I replaced exhaust gaskets on both sides of the bank 1 CAT and replaced seals on throttle body bank 1. Nothing has caused any change to code
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: May not be related but this code showed up after I pulled the transmission .. meaning I had to disassemble the exhaust from the header to the muffler.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Cary York replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

If this problem started with the removal of the trans I would double check for a pinched wiring harness. Possibly between the engine and trans. Have you checked that yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I haven't. What's the best way to check that?

The easiest way would be to do a visual. Use a light, mirror, what ever you had to use to follow the O2 harness from the sensors up to the main engine harness. You could OHM the wires but you would have to disconnect from sensors and the ECM connector. And even then if you found one shorted to ground you would still have to do a visual to locate the short.

Remember if you rate me we can still continue to discussion.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The odd thing is the code appeared after the transmission/clutch job, but then I replace both O2 sensors on bank 1 and the code went away for a year and a half (almost 30K miles) and then came back. Seems unlikely that a pinched wire would be fail this way.I'm not going to give a rating prior to having discussion.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.
Hey there new expert here, sorry your having issues.I have an idea what may be going on here. I I've seen ALOT of these engines get small cracks in the exhaust headers, usually right in the valley where it's almost impossible to see. Inhale helped many techs even on here find them by doing a smoke test at the exhaust and forcing shop air to pressurize it and the smoke starts coming through the the crack.