Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

My 1999 Nissan Maxima idles roughly and there seems to be a

Customer Question

My 1999 Nissan Maxima idles roughly and there seems to be a shake while driving around 20-30 mph. What might be the cause of the rough idle and shake? Are they related?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

is the check engine light on ?

do you know if there are any codes set in the computer ?

has anything been done yet to correct this problem yet ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The check engine light is not on. I don't know if there are any codes set, I can get that looked at. Nothing has been done as of yet to correct the problem. I am trying to figure out what the main causes would be for the issue.
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.

usually if there is a rough idle the issue is usually a vacuum leak or a dead cylinder from a bad spark plug or spark plug wire or injector which would cause the engine to shake when driving if there is a dead cylinder

the odds are it will have misfire codes in the computer and usually finding which cylinder is dead then test that cylinder for spark and fuel

if no codes then usually a basic tune up with wires fixes this issue and sometimes a coil also

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

how are you making out ?