Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier 3.3 SE crew cab automatic Has

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier 3.3 SE crew cab automatic
Has a misfire and at low rpm it's doggy but when it gets to 3k rpms it opens up and has all the power and torqued it supposed to have
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

what is the mileage on it ?

has been tune up ?

have you checked fuel pressure

is the catalytic converter clogged up ?

did this misfire happens suddenly or gradually you start having lack of power ?

is there a check engine light on or is it flashing while driving >

did you have it scanned and retrieved any fault codes ?

please let me know

Thank You *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got the truck a few months back I had the codes checked with a snap on scan tool I had one dead o2 (drivers side up Stream )
I replaced that and it drives better just not all the way fixed I'm going to parts house now to have it scanned again

ok do that and post the fault codes back here to me

and we can go from there

Chad

I m online today from till 12 pm

Chad

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the truck it's self has 244,000 miles on it

that is ok, they are good truck they run high mileage :)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It smells and seems like it's really running Rich

running rich could be a stuck oxygen sensor , vacuum leak causing the ecu to add fuel, leaking injector , bad plugs etc... several reasons could be causing that

my experience at this mileage exhaust, catalytic stopped up , but does the check engine light flashes on dash while driving

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have brand new plugs and all o2,s are reading good from the scan tool the other day
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think the light has been removed or is burnt out

ok good so we can eliminate these parts, so O2 sensor upstream is switching from 0 to 1v quickly like it supposed too and the back sensors switches slower correct ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Scan came up with crankshaft position sensor

well that is good that will definitely cause that .

inspect that it is connected

check also the wiring to it, if it is and it looks original then replace it clear codes and test drive .

what was the exact fault code number

CKP LOCATION

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction

Pull up ckp & compare the ohm resistance with a voltmeter to the new one and also check wiring using a test light

i sent you diagram , take a look at ckp circuit , the ecm feeds it ground

it could be either of these issues ,you have to test to confirm

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok and what time do you leave CST?

I m sorry i missed that ,what do you mean ( CST) ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Central standard time

I m online daily till 12 PM EST ( eastern time zone ,south carolina)

But even If m not online & let say I m out , I will get an email that you replied and I can answer you back on my Ipad, so just reply back when ready.

Chad

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you I have to leave town in the vehicle So it's a time crunch for me at the moment

no worries I understand , i got you ,we should be able to get to the bottom of this of why it is doing that ,what was the fault code number retrieved ., are you still driving it now

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I'm at home cooling it down to remove crankshaft sensor
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My frontier is also a 4x4 it looks like a rear bear to get to

It is a 3 hour job ,if you have it on the car lift and correct tools, so yes not easy to get

001 Nissan-Datsun Truck Frontier SC Crew Cab 4WD V6-3.3L SC (VG33ER)

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor

B 3.0 Labor Hours

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't see a link anywhere

i did not send you a link

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok it's cooled down any better way than I know of to get at it
I did one on my 96 pathfinder with the 3.3 in it but it seemd to be a lot Easter than this one looks like

let me know

good luck

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got the new one in took about 45 min to an hr just went through driver side wheel well runs better but still didn't feel like it should I got to looking both of my exhaust manifolds have cracks in them not just one a few on each side
Well that is good on running Better , but we need to drive it a little and scan again and of course cracked manifold need fixing, if they are repairable or just pick up some from junk yard or Ebay .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found some new oe replacements for around $50 a side on eBay already on the way
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will work on getting ahold of my buddy's snap on scan tool it has the live feed abilitySo can I just come back to this page in the next day or so and it still be available? And without charging me anymore ?

yes, any time you want ,just reply back here to this page and we can continue

I m online till 12 pm daily .

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post will stay open for you, Even after you rate me ,to come back and ask me any follow up questions you may have on this issue

Chad Farhat

hey man how are you

did you get it fixed or you still need help with it

Chad

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still need help I'm leaving town today
I have to rent a car as soon as I get stopped for a few min I'll send you more about the truck it's doing more things now

ok sounds good just let me know

Chad

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As I dive it will be fine for a min and then it Boggs down and then it opens back up and my gas mileage has gotten worse

any flashing check engine light when that happens ?

we need to check fuel pressuer ?

mass air flow sensor/ air filter clogged ?

if you hook up on scan tool ,try to get the long term & short term fuel trim reading at Idle for me ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try to get the scan tool tonight and the mass airflow was cleaned

ok good, if you get scan tool , i want you to try to go down the road and tell me at the change of gear from 2nd to 3rd looking at the scanner

what the max reading at mass air flow sensor on scan tool, will need 2 pepole one drive one look at scanner

hey travis ,how about you give me a rating I would apreciated , we can still continue here like we are now .

anything 3 star and above will be great so i can get compensated

thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It says finish by rating

after 7 days of no reply it times out , that is all. it was open on the 26 th , if it does ,just send it in to customer service to open it back up i cant do it on my end , no worries. i can wait

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I can't get the good scan tool until Tuesday but I had the codes ran again at o'Reilly's and I got alean bank 2Crank sensor circuit malfunction

ok ,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What to do from here

hey travis ,

starting today i m off for 2 weeks ,so instead you wait on me i wiil open up the question for another expert to help you .

sorry man good luck

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok how will this work
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The original expert has opt'd out cause he felt he could no longer assist you and re-opened the question. I am a new expert and will be here to assist you with your question. Please give me a few to review your question and I will respond in a min.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

I saw you had a code for the crank sensor. This is actually normally caused by a bad distributor. The Cam Sensor in the distributor works of a optical sensor and signal plate type of design that if the signal plate shifts slightly, it thinks that the crank sensor is out of reference when it's actually the Cam Sensor. The Cam Sensor is built into the distributor. So the distributor assembly would need to be replaced.

Also I saw you stated that you replaced the spark plugs. What brand spark plugs did you install?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ordered one along with my new exhaust manifold but they sent me a message said that they don't have anymoreAnd I put NGK plugs in itnot AC Delco they seem to always make my other Nissans to run not so good
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've always stuck to oe replacement parts what are your thoughts on these aftermarket distributors
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Yes, Nissan's are very picky on the spark plugs. That is why I asked. NGK's are the correct plugs to use.

Not a fan of after market electrical parts. But that is really your decision. The Nissan ones I know are fairly costly. But do work best. Figure you got over 200k miles on the original.

As for the exhaust manifolds, See if you can get it from the dealer. If not available, see if it is available after market or check on Ebay.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not at this time I will get the distributor And hopefully I can drive my truck Again
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

You got it.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to return back to this question. Follow up questions as long as they are on the same topic is no extra charge.

Other wise, please don't forget to Rate me if you are Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I will thank you very muchHow about a reman Nissan oe distributor ?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Reman from Nissan is good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok for the distributor in still not right...
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

distributor changed and still have issues? Is the bogging around 2k rpms?

Did you change a knock sensor? Do you have any new codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No new codes just the crankshaft position sensor Circuit malfunctioncrankshaft position sensor is all the second one saysBank 2 LeanAnd when it hits 3k rpm it opens up and has all its power that's what took clogged cats off the table in my thoughts
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

You have the primary catts, which are after the exhaust manifold. Then you have the secondary catts after the primary catts. So which catts did you hollow out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not hollowed them out it has power at 3k rpms that's why I didn't think it was the catts
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a scanner that can graph 02 sensors? It could be that they are clogged, but when you have more pressure after 3k is when it can flow past the restriction.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No not at the moment
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I hallow out the cats will that give me low back pressure issues
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

actually since the exhaust goes into a Y pipe, you won't loose much back pressure. I have seen them run with everything gutted

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok just wanted to check
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

No problem..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As soon as it's fixed I have no problem with giving you a rating
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what should I try next with out having the scan tool
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Well, you really need the scanner for direction. Do you have one that can monitor the fuel trim readings?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will in the next few days
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Ok.. Well it will be easier for me to help you then.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok give me a few days
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Sure.. not a problem. I am always online in the evenings.. I am on and off during the day sometimes. I work during the day. So I may be online one min, and the next I won't. But evenings, I am always on...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok sounds good
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Just so you know when I am mostly online.

Talk to you then... Thanks