Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2005 nissan altima. it loses power and goes into

Customer Question

I have a 2005 nissan altima. it loses power and goes into creep mode if the a/c and lights are on, pull over let the car run for a few with everything off and your good again. Alternator & battery are new. the diagnostic at auto zone says battery is fine when idling but when you turn on the ac it says battery to low to run the charging system test. Alt load tests fine
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All fuses and fusable links are intact and MAF sensor cleaned
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

That sounds odd that the alternator will pass a load test but you can't load test the system with the AC on. Can you test for voltage draw with the AC on? You will need an induction clamp and a multi-meter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Induction clamp?
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

An induction clamp will measure the amperage flow from the alternator/battery. This will tell you if there is some sort of voltage stealing short in the AC or something that activates along with the AC, like the AC clutch or cooling fans.

Has the battery been tested on a load tester?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The battery was replaced two weeks ago. And it tested fine yesterday
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

So this only happens when you turn on the AC? What if you turn on the heat full blast and the high-beams? That should be more of an electrical load than the AC.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Turned out to be the alt after all. Took it to another parts store and ran a load test with it on the car. Only put 11v with the AC on. Replaced it and everything is fine. Thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

That's where I was leaning- makes sense. It throws you off when the testers says "ok" but it just doesn't work right.

Please let me know if you need help in the future.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks again
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Thank you!

Please don't forget to rate. That's how Just Answer knows to pay us.