Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

The Ac is only blowing cold air on the lowest setting and

Customer Question

The Ac is only blowing cold air on the lowest setting and when you turn it up past 2 it loses all the cold air
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: We just put a can of freon in the car and the radiator is fine
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2011 Nissan Versa
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like too but I need to know if I have to take it to the shop just putting more freon in we were planning on checking the o rings and the valves in the morning to see if it's leaking there
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No I don't think so
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. do you mean the fan speed drops or only runs on one speed? Or the actual temperature goes up like it's not cooling? Does this have climatic control or manual settings?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It a base model car, just manual settings.. Don't know if I can send photos to kind of explain better. It wasn't running very cold for a while. Coolish but not cold. I bought a can of the Ac recharger. It worked for about half a day and then got worse. Today it just quit blowing cold altogether, but we noticed that if you turn the setting down from 4 to 2 it got considerably colder. Back up to 4 and it got warm again.. Fan is blowing fine..

Is there any way to check the A/C refrigerant pressures so we know what we're dealing with this is very important in diagnosing any A/C problems other wise we can be looking in the wrong area.