Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

No start, but when it runs it never fails. not battery or

Customer Question

No start, but when it runs it never fails.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: not battery or starter or fuel pump all good fuel electrical issue
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2001 nissan pathfinder 3.5 liter
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The fuel pump has been changed, fuel pump relays verified good. Battery and alternator have ben changed. Strangely I can crank and crank and crank, but then jump with another vehicle and it will fire up. I ve also switched keys from reading other posts, but problem persists
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ive wondered about fuel pressure regular and ECCS relay but those are speculations based on reading posts. The problem has gotten worse slowly over time so it has been hard to diagnose. No fuel smell when cranking. When it decides to fire up if catches and no problems. No codes either.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do I need to be engaged for an answer?

Just so I understand it cranks fine but will not start. Jump it off though that seems un needed and it starts?

Is it cranking to slow?

When jumped does it crank much faster?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. Battery is strong. Cranking the same. May be coincidental
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will have to try jumping the relay this weekend but it is clicking closed when ignition is on

When cranking, have you verified good fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse?

Does applying throttle while cranking help?

Will it start using starting fluid sprayed into an open throttle body?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fuel pump relay that is. When cranking I am able to do short crank intervals and it will catch after several attempts. Very odd
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
These are things I will have to verify during the no start. I assumed spark and fuel pressure good since it runs fine once it catches. Unfamiliar with injector pulse. Haven't tried starter fluid. Been focused on electrical since 14 volts starts it first try right after a no start. Thoughts?

So if you crank it briefly it will catch and start but if you crank it for a long time its not going to start?

Will it start sooner at full throttle?

Is there exhaust smoke once it starts?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The shorter faster starter engagements seem to be more effective. Throttle has no effect. No smoke or funny smell from exhaust. If I shut car down and start back, even if it hesitates it is faster to catch than if it's been sitting longer

My suggestion is to let it sit overnight. Then remove all the spark plugs and unplug the injectors. Watch the engine while another cranks to see if there is a puff of smoke or mist from any cylinders which could mean oil, fuel, or coolant in the cylinder fouling the plugs. If that is good then the previous checks I mentioned need to be done to at least rule out things not to blame so you can focus more on things that can be to blame. Injector pulse is checked with a noid light plugged up in place of an injector. It should flash rapid while cranking. Have you tried new plugs and wires?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris