Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2004 Altima cranks no start Replaced crank and cam senser.

Customer Question

2004 Altima cranks no start
Replaced crank and cam senser. Gets fuel... Seems like it wants to start
BackStory-drove it all day no issues, low on fuel parked on a steep incline, came out next day cranks no start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you replace these sensors cause you had a code for them? Also where did you buy the sensors you installed? Do you have the old sensors?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have the old ones, got them from Oreillys and no codes
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

You had no codes, you just replaced them?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here's some more info when trying to start it the valve in the throttle body doesn't seem to open all the way while trying to start even when push the pedal to the floor... When cranking it does seem to what to fire up... It's not just cranking... Haven't check for spark yet but seems it does like I said its right on the verge of starting
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

How many miles on this car? Did you recently get gas? did you happen to pull the spark plugs out and check them to see if they are soaked with fuel?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought the same thing why replace them with no codes, was told the 2.5 was bad about no codes and sensors badHaven't pulled the plugs yet
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Added fuel about, 108000 miles
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

If they are after market sensors ( which they are now ) they tend to cause issues and not throw codes. It's always best to stick with the dealer for electrical parts.

At this point since there is no codes, we will need to pull spark plugs to see if they are soaked with fuel. If the engine gets flooded the fuel can wash out the cylinder walls which lowers compression which can keep the engine from starting.

So lets pull spark plugs and let me know what you find.

At the same time, I need to get off line. It's 11 pm where I am. Can we continue this tomorrow?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I'll pull them, still doesn't make sense starts one and not the next talk to you tomorrow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Plugs dry, and has spark
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any ideas??
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Then we need to pull the fuel pump fuse and do a compression test

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still not starting
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not compression, it was running fine came home, parked and next morning no start
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Checked all relays and fuses also... Really don't understand
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

No codes still? How are you checking for codes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No codes, you can tell it wants to start, I mean it's right ready to go, but doesn't
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Did you get gas recently before this happened?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it was almost empty and parked on a steep incline next morning no start, I have added fuel since, popped the fuel line on the fire wall and the fuel flow is strong
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

this car requires the fuel pressure to be 56 psi. It can feel like it comes out strong at 35 psi. We may need to do a fuel pressure test since you have no codes..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Make sense, 56 at the line come off the fire wall or some where else?
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have no idea how I'm gonna do that, gonna have to rig up something with fuel hose, clamps and a gage
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

I hear ya.. I brought a universal fuel pressure tester kit to do these cars.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I'll mess with that tomorrow, I'll let you know
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

ok.. Another thing you can try is to spray some throttle cleaner in the intake after the maf sensor and see if it runs. If it does, you know it's a fuel issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Let me know how you make out..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Fuel pressure great!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did notice it try's harder to start when I pump the gas pedal
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Oh.. I have a few idea's, but it requires a scanner to monitor intake timing. Normally with that description you just said it could be a timing issue. Meaning it may have jump time or the intake timing sprocket may be stuck.

This may require more advanced diagnostics now to determine if my thoughts are correct.