Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

I have the p1273 code on my 2005 Nissan Xterra after

Customer Question

I have the p1273 code on my 2005 Nissan Xterra after replacing the bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor which was original. I read a service bulletin that says the ECM needs to be cleared or I will keep getting that code. Is there anyway to clear the ECM orther than having a factory tech do it? I need to get this in for Pa state emissions and the code is on. If I have the code cleared at autozone, it comes back in 100 miles with the p1273 lean condition. The car goes from running great to a real dog
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I would just like to start by making sure you replaced the correct Air Fuel Ration sensor ( upper 02 sensor ) by telling me where the sensor is located that you installed and where did you buy the part?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bought the Bosch replacement sensor at Autozone. It is passenger side upper, before the cat
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

That is the correct side and location. How ever, when it comes to after market electrical parts, they tend not to work properly. Plus I think I recall a bulletin on this where after you replace the AF sensor you have to do a reprogram. Can I check into that later this evening for you when I am off work and get back to you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the service bulletein says the ECM needs to be cleared or it will be storing the code. That was my original; questions is there a way to clear the code other than taking it to a Nissan Tech to do it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If theis code comes up after 100 miles of driving, Hopw can I pass the emmissions. If I take it to a garage, they are going to point to the sensor I just replaced as being bad because it is running in a closed loop situation
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Oh if you are looking to simply clear the code, just disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
jay, I have disconnected the negative terminal overnight, then after 100 -150 miles of driving the p1273 code comes back on.
I wanted to make sure that resets the ECM memory by doing that. I have replaced the upstream sensor and after i did that the 1273 code comes on. If I just clear the code and turn the engine light off, it comes back after about 30 miles, If I disconnect the battery and then run, the code comes back after approx. 100-150 miles.