Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

How do I remove my Bank 1 Catalytic converter on my 2007

Customer Question

How do I remove my Bank 1 Catalytic converter on my 2007 Nissan Quest 3.5L?
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

A torch or a hack saw is the only way to remove it, then the new one needs to be fitted between the pipes.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you call me so I can explain better?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

I never got a call request, but here are the instructions.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.
Edited by Moderator)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a Technician with 30 years of experience. I have worked on Domestic vehicles mostly. But now Im trying to get into foreing vehicles also. I have an Alldata Subscripition that helps me when I need help,but they do not work on weekends. I have this Information you gave me from alldata. I have removed the front 2 bolts from the cat. I can not get a tool to remove the bk 1 02 sensor to remove the heat shield so I can remove the 2 back nuts off the cat.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The way I remove the Bank 1 catt is by removing the wiper cowl and cowl pan. Once you have that off, you can access the two bolts pointing up on the top of that Catt. Then remove the flex pipe and get the other two bolts underneath. Then the catt comes right down.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Oh, yeah.. When you have the wiper cowl pan off while getting the two top bolts of the catt, you have to unplug the Bank 1 02 sensor and remove that exhaust manifold heat shield to expose the bolts better to get.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if there is any other questions you may have on this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The thing is what kind of tool do I use to get the o2 sensor off? It hard to get to and hardly no room to put a wrench on it and turn it? No phone call then I will spend $52.00 on this and I still have not found a solution to my problem.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

I use a 02 Sensor socket. For the 07 Quest, it's a called a Air Fuel Ratio Sensor. You use a special socket for that so you don't damage the wire.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should be able to remove the O2 from the top without removing anything other than the cowl?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Wiper cowl and the wiper cowl Pan. I also use a long extension so I can get leverage. It's in there tight.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

or you can try to leave it in, and slip the exhaust manifold cover over it. Just unplug the sensor. I forget if you can do that. But doesn't hurt to try.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've been trying that so I guess I've been doing it right. I was trying to see if someone had a special or trick I could learn.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Yeah. The manifold cover I have also sometimes just turned or bent after removing all the 10 mm bolts that hold it to access the bolts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sir I also tried that. There's not much room to get a wrench in there to turn for the o2 or the cat nuts
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Did you take the wiper cowl pan off? That black pan after the cowl is removed?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

It is bolted in by like 8 to 10, 10 mm bolts? The wiper motor assembly has to be removed also if I remember right when you take that pan off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am going to try again tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Ok.. Let me know how you make out