Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

I have a 2013 nissan maxima with push button start that will

Customer Question

I have a 2013 nissan maxima with push button start that will only start intermittently. I don't show any alarms or maintenance codes are present.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes, everything else works and the battery is charged with good connections.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried so far but yes, I would possibly like to fix it myself. Other searches have indicated a possible steering lock issue on earlier models. Could that be the case here? Usually after playing with the steering column tilt/telescope the car starts.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That is really the only information I have at the moment.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

This year model does not have an electronic steering lock so no worries about that.

When you press start and it doe snot crank the engine, does it still switch to ACC or ON mode? Whats on the display when this happens? does it show a picture of the FOB or press brake symbol?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the ignition switch swaps from ACC to ON. Also, the instrument cluster illuminates like normal but then the press brake symbol and push ignition button come back on. At this point with the brake pedal depressed if you bump the steering wheel/steering column, the car will usually start without having to again push the ignition button.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 months ago.
If it switches to ACC/ON then the key is being detected, but likely not the brake pedal which is why it's telling you to press the brake.So when it won't start and switches to ACC you need to check and see if the brakes lights are on, if not the the brake switch is at fault.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The break lights have also been on when attempting to start the car.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 months ago.
Well the only reason it wouldn't attempt to crank if it detected the key and the brake switch is if the battery was dead or the battery terminal was loose.
Other than the occasional rarer issues that would be the most likely. We could find out for certain with a volt meter the next time it happens.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the times when the car does not initially attempt to start, if you hit/bump the steering wheel after pressing the brake pedal and you have pressed the ignition button, the car starts. Are there any other sensors or switches on the steering column that might have loose connections or switches going bad that could affect the starting sequence?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 months ago.

just the subharness for the ignition switch itself. No steering lock on the 2013, the 2010 was the last year for it.