Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2007 maxima; twice in last 3 wks. engine will not run after

Customer Question

2007 maxima; twice in last 3 wks. engine will not run after being driven a short distance
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: engine chugs a few times and shuts off. After it sets awhile it will crank and run fine.mechanic has worked two days and cannot make it reaccur
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, I have it in an auto repair shop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no, this problem has given no advance warnings or syutoms
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Does the check engine light come on when this happens?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
67,000 mi. . Engine light does not come on when the engine does restart
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Daughter drives car. Car towed to auto repair Monday. When it arrived it ran fine.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Ok

I suspect an issue with your mass air flow sensor, of course the bad part is if it's not acting up it's just about impossible to tell if it's the problem. One method you can personally try if it happens when you are with the car is to unplug the sensor. Then try to start the car, if it starts right up, then it is the problem.

Also, ask your mechanic if he can try a throttle position relearn on the car. It's possible it's flooding out or the throttle isn't setting properly when the engine is warm once in a while.

It's a very difficult issue to resolve without the codes so you might have to do a little testing on your own to try and get to the bottom of it until its more consistent.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!