Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

A/C just quit working. Compressor wont kick on. Service man

Customer Question

A/C just quit working. Compressor wont kick on. Service man tried too add Freon but couldn't because compressor wouldn.t start. since I just bought the car the regular mechanic will be checking it out tomorrow. Blowers woe
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: rk yes ... a bit
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2009 Maxima
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: failed day after I bought it...they are going to check it tomorrow
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: haven't checked the fans...
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Your AC system comes with a Dye in it. So if there is any leaks in the AC system a pair of Yellow glasses and a black light would be able to locate it. So I would start by looking around for a leak. If you don't see any, then you would need to evacuate the Freon from the system to see how much is in it. Then after you recover it and you see how much you have removed, then you want to use a AC vacuum pump to put the AC system into a Vacuum state. Once you put the system into a -30 vacuum state, then close all valves and leave it in a vacuum state for 5 to 10 mins to see if it stays there. If it does, then you want to charge the AC system to the proper amount. Once you have the proper amount of freon in the AC system then you want to check AC operation. Most of the time which I would say 90% of the time when a AC system does not work, it's due to freon level or a leak.

Do you have any more questions on this?