Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

Coolant leak passenger side rear of engine, Bought car used,

Customer Question

Coolant leak passenger side rear of engine
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: Bought car used, so don't know how old hoses are. It is 2004. Imagine some are original. Replace one heater hose and now something else is leaking once engine reached temp
JA: What is the model of your '04 Nissan?
Customer: Frontier she v6 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nephew has car and is in another town. He has replaced one leaking hose, but now another has started. Hoping to patch it up long enough to get back home and take to dealership where we have already traded it Bad timing for a leak!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Car has new radiator and major hoses. Has not been overheated to our knowledge. Have had it about a year. Has 150000ish miles on it..
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 10 months ago.

When a coolant hose fails it is usually a good indicator of the condition of all coolant hoses, so there is a good possibility he will have to replace more than one hose.. also original hose clamps need to be replaced with new ones when replacing hoses. Please Accept and Rate my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What else that vicinity other than a hose might leak

Heater core, freeze plug on rear of cylinder head, freeze plug on the block, heater control valve

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Best way to diagnose which?

Coolant system pressure test by an accomplished technician using a coolant system pressure pump will pinpoint all leaks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Since a mechanic is not an option where the vehicle is located,what is next best way to locate

Make sure coolant is full and start engine bring to operating temperature watch for location of leak, the engine running will supply the pressure needed to detect the leak. Please Accept and Rate my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Everything you are saying has already been looked at and tried without success. Any limp home ideas to make 500 miles

I do not recommend driving this vehicle until coolant leaks are located and repaired , it is not worth destroying your engine , make other arrangements to travel 500 miles.