Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

Replaced the fuel pump, and vehicle cranks but wont start.

Customer Question

replaced the fuel pump, and vehicle cranks but wont start. new part came with a metal nub on the bottom where the old one has a black button-like apparatus. Did I forget to take off a protective cap for shipping or comething stupid like that?
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: GAs guage reads just under a 1/4 tank, plugs are only about a year old. Vehicle was running prior to repair, just needed a new fuel level sending unit. I was able to get the whole pump and sending unit for the same price as the sending unit alone, so just decided to replace everything, preventative maintenance like
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2006 xterra
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump unit as a whole.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Before we get started, why did you replace the fuel pump? was the truck running ok because replacing the pump?